Ever gone to purchase a piece of jewelry and get grading report? Were you confused or thrown off by it? Well, don’t worry they can be a little overwhelming if you’ve seen one before. They are meant to provide clarity, and yet consumers often get so focused on the data they forget about the most important aspect of the diamond or gem: its beauty and the feelings it inspires. Here are answers to the most common consumer questions when it comes to diamond and gem grading reports.
While a diamond grading report can help explain the quality factors like color, clarity, cut and carat weight, it should not be a primary factor when shopping for a diamond. Visiting professional jewelry stores with gemology experts on staff to compare diamonds in person and understand their unique characteristics will help you determine the best diamond or gemstone for your budget.
Grading Report or Certificate or Appraisal?
Let’s start with what a diamond or gemstone grading report is not: It is not a jewelry appraisal or a certificate of the stone’s value. Key differences:
- A jewelry appraisal is typically used for insurance purposes and any after-purchase care or design follow up. It should not be used as a substitute for a grading report.
- A Certificate guarantees the exact grade or value of the stone, while a grading report is a subjective report and offers a grade within a range of values.
Consider a grading report a blueprint of a diamond or gem’s properties that verifies diamond authenticity and quality. As you search for your perfect diamond or gemstone, a grading report can help explain the quality factors of the stone based on scientific properties, but it is still subjective in that it is the opinion of the individuals who graded the diamond or gemstone and is based on the lab’s grading standards. This is why there are sometimes discrepancies between grading reports from different labs.
What is Included with a Grading Report?
A diamond grading report describes in detail the characteristics of an unmounted diamond or gemstone. How that information is referenced the varies depending on the lab, but most grading reports contain:
- The 4Cs of diamond quality: color, clarity, cut and carat weight. This will differ slightly for colored gemstone grading reports, where color is the most valued quality factor. The grades on the report represent a range of each “C”
- The stone’s characteristics: shape, proportions, finish
- Any known treatments
- Light performance: measuring the brilliance, fire and scintillation of the stone
- Many grading reports also include a diagram of inclusions that can affect how light is displayed in a diamond. This is another area where colored gemstone grades differ, because almost all gemstones have some inclusions. When considering diamond inclusions, keep in mind that truly flawless diamonds are extremely rare, representing less than 1% of all finished diamonds.
Industry standards recommends updating reports every five years. A diamond grading report can be a document of identification in the event of loss or theft.
Simply Majestic is your source for unique, fine jewelry. Owned and operated by Susette Tibus and Chuck Sneddon, Simply Majestic is located at 59 Williams Avenue in Mystic, CT. Whether searching for a traditional engagement ring; or a custom-design, our team will help with every jewelry need. Simply Majestic has a beautiful and extensive selection of wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces, diamonds, loose diamonds, gemstones, watches, earrings, charms and pendants.
From repair to re-design; from remount to restoration – or custom jewelry creations – enjoy the comfort of knowing utmost care of your treasures is top priority. Simply Majestic will clean your jewelry at no charge. Our repairs are legendary – from simple sizing to total restorations for antique and vintage jewelry. We set the standards others try to follow and while your jewelry is here to be serviced, why not get an up-to-date appraisal for your insurance company. You can be the designer – using your creativity with Simply Majestic’s Digital Design Studio – new technology meets old world craftsmanship. Design on our website or come to our store. We can’t wait to help you start your journey!
Leave A Comment