What is Yellow Gold Fill?
Yellow gold filled jewelry is a good quality, more affordable alternative to solid gold. Also known as “rolled gold” or “gold overlay”, it’s easily confused with gold plating; however, the key difference is that it’s filled with solid gold, hence the name.
In terms of the construction of gold filled jewelry, the layer of solid gold is bonded to a base metal (such as brass, rhodium, copper or sterling silver) using a specific amount of heat and pressure. The jewelry piece has to have solid gold content of at least 5% of its total weight, otherwise it’s not classed as gold filled.
“Yellow gold” refers to the specific coloring of the jewelry which, in this case, is widely recognized as the traditional gold hue. You can also get “white gold” (silver) filled jewelry, as well as “rose gold”.
What are the Benefits of Gold Filled Jewelry?
Solid gold jewelry is a substantial investment; but, simply put, buying gold filled jewelry over solid gold is definitely going to save you quite a lot of money. It’s also much more valuable than purchasing gold plating. Unlike gold plating, gold filled jewelry is tarnish resistant and won’t turn your skin green. Furthermore, if you care for gold filled jewelry properly, it can last quite a while.
How to Care for Gold Filled Jewelry
Caring for gold filled jewelry is not too much different from caring for other types of jewelry. Here are our top tips:
- Avoid wearing your gold filled jewelry in the ocean or swimming pools, as the salt water and chlorine can cause damage.
- Keep your gold filled jewelry as dry as possible and away from pesky humidity! Make sure you store it individually in an air-tight plastic bag as rubbing it against other jewelry can cause it to lose its sheen.
- Avoid wearing your gold filled jewelry when working out. Exposure to the salt from sweat can cause your pieces to become dull.
- Be mindful that perfume, hairspray and hand lotions may tarnish your gold filled jewelry due to the harsh chemicals they contain.
- Gently wipe your gold filled piece with a jewelry polishing, non-scratch cloth every now and again to promote shine.
Simply Majestic is your source for unique, fine jewelry. Owned and operated by Susette Tibus and Chuck Sneddon, Simply Majestic is located at 59 Williams Avenue in Mystic, CT. Whether searching for a traditional engagement ring; or a custom-design, our team will help with every jewelry need. Simply Majestic has a beautiful and extensive selection of wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces, diamonds, loose diamonds, gemstones, watches, earrings, charms and pendants.
From repair to re-design; from remount to restoration – or custom jewelry creations – enjoy the comfort of knowing utmost care of your treasures is top priority. Simply Majestic will clean your jewelry at no charge. Our repairs are legendary – from simple sizing to total restorations for antique and vintage jewelry. We set the standards others try to follow and while your jewelry is here to be serviced, why not get an up-to-date appraisal for your insurance company. You can be the designer – using your creativity with Simply Majestic’s Digital Design Studio – new technology meets old world craftsmanship. Design on our website or come to our store. We can’t wait to help you start your journey!